Saturday, December 24, 2016

Oh Thank Heaven, my Calvin is 11!

Today is the day, 11 years ago, that my Calvin James made me a mother!  We celebrated in our traditional fashion last night with pizza and movies.  
Our movie marathon ended about an hour short of Calvin's actual birthday at 2:36 a.m., but we still got 4 movies in, so I'd call it a success.
Also per tradition, we had muffins and sparkling grape juice for breakfast to celebrate our birthday boy.
Then he opened his present.  You may remember that Calvin got KU basketball tickets for his birthday along with Oliver's present in November.  Well, I decided he really needed something to open on his actual birthday, so this gift is for both boys to keep things fair.
 These boys are pretty pumped about their new drone!
 Let's see this baby fly!  The foggy day required that we keep the drone pretty close to home, but the boys got some good practice flying.  They haven't attempted any stunts yet, but I'm sure they'll be trying them soon enough.
 Pretty cool stuff!
This drone takes HD video and pictures, so the boys wanted to try out that feature.  This is the first amazing picture taken by the drone.  Calvin is calling it "Grass from Above."
We then watched a few more movies, this time with some familiar faces in them.  He was just so precious as a newborn baby.  Russ said in one of the videos, "This is my favorite Christmas EVER."  I can't argue with that.
I'm so proud of the young man Calvin is becoming.  One of his teachers told me this year that he reminded her a lot of my Dad (who she also taught with).  I told her that she couldn't have paid my son a higher compliment and I pray that he will continue reminding people of Grandpa Kermit.  He is becoming so helpful around the house and is always still taking care of Evelyn (even though she doesn't really need it much anymore).  He is a great student and very respectful at school.  He gave me the best Christmas gift ever 11 years ago: the gift of being a mother!  I thank God every day that I get to be the mother of such an incredible boy.  Happy, happy birthday to my Calvin James!!

No comments: