In case you haven't heard, we've been back at Children's Mercy this week with Miss Violet and an ugly infection in her right jaw. Here are the updates I've posted on the CarePage:
(Posted on the CarePage yesterday)There are two complications that can result from the mandibular distraction surgery: (1) the screws can come loose and (2) the jaw can become infected. Miss Violet has successfully achieved both of these; we hope she doesn't always feel the need to defy the odds! The good news is, unless she invents some new complication, we should be smooth sailing until the hardware comes out!
So the news of the day is. . . we had an ultrasound of her jaw done which showed an infected fluid pocket and a track from the pin site to the lower jaw where it is red and swollen. The preliminary culture results of her wound (the pin site) showed staph infection, but we won't know which antibiotics kill that staph until the results are finalized tomorrow. Most likely, the antibiotic she is currently getting through the IV (clindamycin) will cover the bug and she will go home taking it by mouth. We will have to continue the antibiotic until her hardware is removed on December 15. Unfortunately, she will have to go back to OR tomorrow to drain the abscess and wash the tissue with antibiotic. It should be a relatively quick procedure (~30 minutes), but yet another experience with anesthesia. Poor Baby! She's been such a trooper through all of this, and we are just so thankful for that.
If everything goes as planned, we should be able to go home sometime on Thanksgiving Day. I may have to convince Mom to do Thanksgiving dinner as an evening meal instead of a noon one :).
All-in-all, it could be much worse, so we are very thankful for what we've learned so far. Please pray with us for an uneventful night; that the culture comes back showing what we think it is going to show; and that surgery is very routine and uncomplicated tomorrow. Also please pray for my patience with these blasted pins for the next 3 weeks! I don't think I've ever felt such "dislike" for inanimate objects before. I just can't wait to see and hold my precious baby girl without them.
I'll try to update tomorrow after surgery. Thanks again for your continued prayers and words of encouragement. . . God continues to be faithful!
(Posted on CarePage just now)
It has been a pretty eventful day for Miss Violet (and the rest of us). She had a relatively normal night up until her 4:00 a.m. feeding. She became pretty fussy after that, but didn't really care to eat. I wanted her to eat a little more before 7:00 a.m. because after that she couldn't have anything else in preparation for surgery. Once the lights in the room were turned on this morning, I realized why she had been so fussy. . . the hard, red spot on her neck had opened up and was oozing all over her neck and shoulders. It looked so painful, my poor baby girl. When the surgeon (Dr. Singhal) came through on his rounds, he thought the surgery might no longer be necessary since her body basically did what he was going to do surgically. He said we would redo the blood work that was done on Monday and if the numbers had improved, we wouldn't have to go back to OR.
Next, the infectious disease team came through. The worst news of the day was that her staph is the "bad" kind, MRSA. Not only that, it is resistant to the clindamcyin we've been treating her with, so she hasn't had any effective treatment for her infection since we've been here. Only ten percent of the MRSA here at Children's Mercy are resistant to clindamycin, so yet again, Violet is showing she is special and not about to fit into any mold. The plan is to change the antibiotic to vancomycin + rifampin for 24 hours while here, then change to linezolid when we go home. Linezolid, like vancomycin, is a "big gun" antibiotic, but unlike vancomycin, can be given orally. She will be on it until she's a week post-op after the removal surgery (probably until just before Christmas). Until then, we get to add infectious disease clinic to our weekly schedule. One of the possible adverse effects of this drug is myelosuppression (decreased red/white blood cells and platelets), especially when it is given for longer periods of time as will be the case with Violet, so they will be monitoring her frequently for this. The ID doctor said there wouldn't be any "precautions" per se that we need to take after we go home, just normal common sense (i.e. handwashing, etc).
Meanwhile, the bloodwork came back and looked basically the same as it had on Monday, so Dr. Singhal decided it was prudent to go ahead and do the irrigation and debridement. She was taken to OR about 1:00 p.m. and Dr. Singhal was done with her by 1:30 -- it was really fast, thank goodness. (By the way, Dr. Singhal said this is the FIRST time he has ever had to take a patient back to surgery for I&D after the distraction surgery; she is definitely keeping everyone on their toes!) She came out looking wide-eyed and HUNGRY, and is now quite content with her fully belly and oxycodone.
So provided everything goes smoothly the rest of the day and in the morning, we hopefully will still be able to go home tomorrow after her 24 hours of vancomycin are completed and insurance has approved the linezolid (because it is super expensive). As you can tell, it's been a busy day. It started out rather poorly, but I'm feeling much better now. I'll try to update tomorrow to let you know when we make it home. Thanks again for all of the prayers!!
This is what I saw this morning when the lights came on, not at all a pretty site!
Somehow, she can still manage to look sweet even with all of that yuckiness on her neck. We've got ourselves one tough baby girl!

Since this is the first time the plastic surgeon or the infectious disease doctor had ever seen this, they wanted pictures. Someday our sweet Violet may be in a textbook of infectious disease; we'll just have to see!