Thursday, August 18, 2016

Another School Year Begins!

After another incredible and unforgettable summer, the kids started back to school today.  Last evening was the big "Meet the Teacher" night.  All three Dwyer kids were so excited to get the teacher they really wanted.  Backpacks loaded with supplies, they're ready to head in!
We started with our big 5th grader.  I can't believe this is the last time we'll do this with Calvin.  I'm a mess already, thinking of him being out of elementary after this school year!  He got to choose his desk and then took some time to get his supplies put away.
I have a feeling he is going to have a GREAT year with Mrs. Robinson!
Next up, we made our way to the 2nd/3rd grade pod -- Here's Oliver's class!
In no time, our new 3rd grader found his desk.  He has SO many of his friends in his class this year; he couldn't have been happier!
As Oliver filled his desk, Russ concentrated hard while filling out the parent form.  In case you were wondering, Russ LOVES answering questions like "Name 3 words that describe your child" or "What will help your child succeed in this class?" His answers to these always crack me up and I have to make sure the teacher knows I didn't help with the responses. . . 
Oliver is all smiles with Miss Larsen!
Finally, we made our way to the K/1st Pod to get our final Dwyer student acquainted with her teacher.  Although this wasn't necessary at all!  You see, Violet got Mrs. Van Horn for 1st grade.  Way back in 1988, someone else had Mrs. Van Horn for a teacher.  See if you can find a familiar face in these old yearbook pictures.
 HELLO, permed hair!  (My mom always said it gave it more 'body'; body/frizz/whatever.)  Anyway, so our history goes WAY back with Mrs. Van Horn and I couldn't have been more pleased that Violet was placed in her class!  And she spent lots of quality time with her new teacher this past summer at the ball fields watching the 8/9 year-old boys play (Oliver is the same age as her grandsons), so Violet was tickled pink as well! (I think I've changed a bit more since those yearbook pics than Sharon has!)
Our big 1st grader found her desk and her buddy Nora, who is in her class!
Mrs. Van Horn stuck with the traditional apple theme and even gave us parents an apple to start the new school year.
And with that, Meet the Teacher night was complete!  As we were heading to our car, there was a crop duster flying super-low and the kids loved watching him zoom by us over and over again.
We headed back to our car so we could get home and make a special treat for the first day of school: chocolate chip scones!  These are the kids' favorite.
We got a good night's sleep, ate some yummy scones, and were ready for school!  Violet was certainly excited! The boys, not so much.  Thankfully, they still humor me by agreeing to take the obligatory 1st Day of School pictures.
Here's the breakdown. . .
She's looking a bit too goofy for 1st grade!
Here we are!
Violet found her place in the library, where the first graders wait before school starts, and Oliver sat patiently in his pod.
There's Calvin in his LAST elementary school classroom!
The PTO invited parents to breakfast after drop-off, so Russ and I enjoyed visiting with other parents while munching on donuts, muffins, juice, and coffee.  The "Little Sisters Club" was in attendance as well, with Evie's buddies, Natalie and Hazel.
We did a daycare swap last year with Hazel's mom, Emily, so that the two of us could volunteer in our kids' classrooms.  I'm excited to get this started back up, as I've missed my HazelNut!
I spent the morning catching up with a couple of girlfriends and before I knew it, the bus was pulling up the road.  I love how my boys always take care of their sister on the walk up to the house.
At dinner this evening when we were playing "High-Low", the boys said their high was getting to go to school.  I'd say that's a successful first day!  Here's to a great school year!!

No comments: