Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Happy Birthday, Calvin James!

My firstborn turns 9 today!  How is that possible??  Per tradition, we started the celebration last night with pizza and movie night.  Calvin made his requests for treats for the party: chips, fruit smiles, Dr. Pepper, and beef jerky.  Sounds about right for a 9-year-old.
 And these were the movies on the list for our evening.  Flipped ended up being a really cute movie, and it had been YEARS since I'd seen Rudy.  I guess Calvin chose good movies, because all three of them managed to make me cry.  I think birthdays just make me a little bit sentimental.
 Russ came through with some good pizza, and Jack stayed over to help us celebrate.
 Let the movies begin!  I just love this tradition that started with Calvin's 3rd birthday.
 My EvieJune had a fun night and stayed up through all 3 movies!  She's turning into quite the night owl.
 Here's all of the crazy kids crew at our party!
 Then this morning we continued the birthday tradition of muffins and sparkling juice.  Singing Happy Birthday!
Check out this picture from our inaugural birthday muffin event.  Only one muffin with 3 candles. . . Now there are THREE muffins with 3 candles. :(
 
Blow out those candles, big boy!
A toast to our birthday boy!
 After the muffins and juice, Calvin opened his present. . .
 . . . a Wubble Bubble Ball!
 Daddy goes to work inflating it. . .
 Let the fun begin!  Evelyn was half-terrified, half-thrilled with the big ball flying through our house.
I'd say Christmas Eve 2005 was my most memorable ever.  It was such an amazing experience welcoming my first baby, my Calvin James, into the world.  As he gets older, I love to see his personality develop and wonder about the man he will be someday.  I just realized that with him turning 9 today, he is halfway to being an adult!  Now if that isn't crazy, I don't know what is.  As fast as the past 9 years have gone, I know he will grown and moving out before I know it.  So I'm making a very conscious effort to enjoy every stage with him.  I love it that he is old enough to really talk to but still young enough to hold my hand.  I know it won't be long before he's too cool to hold mom's hand anymore.  I love it that he still likes to cuddle with me and I LOVE how much he loves Evelyn and takes care of her.  He's such a special gift to me, and I'm so thankful that God chose me to be his mom.  Happy birthday, Calvin!  I love you more than you could ever know!

No comments: