Monday, August 13, 2012

Violet's Fancy New Wheels

One of Violet's favorite things to do with her PT, Erin, is ride her trike at school.  Unfortunately, this only happens once a week, and only for the amount of time it takes to get from the OT room to the pool (hence the swimsuit in the picture).
Late last spring, I asked if it would be possible to "check out" a trike to bring home so Violet could have more practice.  There is only one of these trikes at her school, however, so this wasn't really an option.  But her PT said there would possibly be a way that Violet could get her very own trike (and without us having to come up with the ~$500 to purchase it).  They took the appropriate measurements and provided us the application to fill out.  We submitted the necessary information and then began the waiting game to see if Violet would be sponsored for her trike.  Last week we were notified that the Salina, Kansas, AMBUCS chapter had chosen Violet as their tricycle recipient!  We were so excited when we came home and found this on our front step!

When I say "we were excited", I'm not sure Russ should really be included, however.  The trike came in about a million pieces without the clearest of directions. . . It took my loving husband nearly an 8-hour work day to get it put together just right.  But it was so worth it when it was completed!  I mean, look how happy she is to have her very own trike at home!
She rode all over the house the first couple of days while it was still really hot out.
The weather this weekend was so wonderful, Violet couldn't wait to get her new wheels outside for some real riding!  Oliver was more than happy to "assist" his little sis in her new endeavors.

I just loved relaxing out back watching the boys play basketball and Violet ride her tricycle.
The hand pedals and foot straps (and small size, of course) are key to Violet's ability to ride.
Someone LOVES her new AmTryke!!
We are so thankful to the generous donors from Salina for providing this bike for Violet.  I know she will have many hours of enjoyment while riding on her fancy new wheels!

No comments: