Just this week, I discovered my favorite part of having a baby girl with a cleft palate. . . Listen closely:
Nearly all babies (including my boys) say "dada" first because it's supposedly easier. Easier, that is, assuming you have a palate. Have you ever tried to say "dada" without a palate? CAN'T BE DONE, my friends. My boys were well past their first birthdays before I ever heard the word "mama" grace their sweet little lips. Not my baby girl, though. She's saying Mama like there's no tomorrow, and it just might be the sweetest sound I've ever heard. Partly because, well, every mom likes to hear it. But also because she hasn't really done any babbling at all, and I wasn't sure if she would until she got the fluid out of her ears. I'm optimistic that maybe she is hearing a little after all.
For the record, I think Violet would have said Mama first anyway. . .
No comments:
Post a Comment