Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Solar Eclipse 2024

 In 2017 we had a total solar eclipse occur within an hour of home.  I blogged about it here .  In that post I said, "It was such an awesome experience, my boys are already talking about the NEXT eclipse.  There will actually be another one coming through southeast Missouri and most of Arkansas about a month before Calvin will graduate from high school (April 8, 2024).  Russ thinks this sounds like a great guys trip to celebrate his graduation!"  Naïve me didn't realize just how busy life would be when Calvin was a month from graduating high school!  Having boys who are a senior and a sophomore carries a much different schedule than when they were 6th and 4th graders! So with golf meets, track meets, prom and all sorts of other "life" happenings, we weren't able to get away to see totality this time.  I was definitely jealous of Grandpa Denny and Grandma Jo who were in totality near their lake home in Arkansas.  I had to settle for the rooftop deck at LMH with some of my favorite work phamily.

These were the best pics I could get of 92% (or whatever the final number was) totality through my glasses.
Oliver was at a golf meet in Paola that day (where he played AWESOME -- I'll post about that soon) and Violet was at a Hawaiian luau day in Baldwin. Her teacher sent me this picture.
Evie and her class also got to experience the eclipse at school.  These are the cool glasses she brought home.
Since we weren't in totality, I'll finish with some awesome pictures that people posted of the occasion.  This is a high-resolution image from a NASA telescope -- how cool is that?!
And here are a few more from local and not-local photographers. I love that they shared their pictures!
God's creativity never ceases to amaze me.  I shared this image in my last post, but I'll share it again because it's cool to see when the next eclipse will take place.  We have to wait a few more years this time, but in 2045 there will be one not too far from home.  The kids were telling me that I'd probably be a grandma by then.  I BETTER be a grandma by then!  And I hope I can take my grandkids to Bull Shoals to see it :)


No comments: