Monday, November 23, 2020

Oliver Joel is 13!

 I can't believe it's been 13 years since we first laid eyes on our precious, albeit blue, "Baby O" -- This picture was taken right after he was born, in the middle of the night, before we knew anything was wrong with his heart.

Reading my blog from that time took me right back. . . "I can honestly say leaving Oliver that evening to go sleep at the Ronald McDonald House was the hardest thing I've ever done. I never thought I'd leave my less-than-one-day-old with strangers--it was heart-wrenching. November 23, 2007, was the longest, most emotionally-draining day of my life. By the time I fell asleep that night, I'd been awake for nearly 40 hours, during which time I'd labored, given birth, left the hospital without my child, cried more tears than I thought I had, and prayed more than I ever have in one 12-hour period." 

I think the most amazing thing, though, is how the Lord carried us through those stressful months after his birth.  When I think back, yes, I remember being scared and worried, but mostly I remember feeling cared for and knowing that God was in control of the situation.  Oliver's testimony of God's goodness begins before he can even remember and THAT is pretty cool stuff.

That blue baby quickly became my tractor-loving toddler and sports-loving kid.
Oliver is so much fun to be around.  His knowledge of sports-trivia could challenge any enthusiast. He loves his little sisters.  He will always have a best friend in his brother. He loves to bake, especially cheesecake.  His knowledge of Bible trivia would challenge any scholar.  He loves Jesus and he loves his family.  He is going to make one amazing teenager.  Happy, happy birthday to my sweet boy!  Remember that you are NEVER too old to give your momma hugs!

No comments: