Sunday, November 1, 2020

Halloween 2020, Covid-Style

Halloween fell on a Saturday this year, so school parties were on Friday.  Unfortunately, my contributions this year were limited to sending in apples and caramel.  I'm so thankful my kids get to go to school and actually have special events like Halloween parties, and trying not to feel too sad about missing these events during Violet's last year of elementary.  I know my girls had a fun time, even without any parents there.  And they looked cute.

So Halloween was Covid-Style this year because of the lack of usual parties, but it was also Covid-Style for our family because we decided to go ahead and make it our family theme.  I mean, we didn't want to risk forgetting about the fun of 2020 in the future!  So here is our 'Vi'-rus -- too bad the actual coronavirus can't be sweet and cute like our Vi.

The rest of us were 2020 staples that have been used to help us stay safe from the 'Rona.  Evelyn chose hand sanitizer because she's always been a bit obsessed with the stuff.  Calvin agreed to a thermometer if it meant he only had to wear a t-shirt with a picture on it (he IS in high school now, after all -- I told him I could write, "Stay away from me! I'm a little bit hot!" on the shirt, but he didn't think it was as funny as I did.) Oliver was a hard-sell on the Clorox wipes, but since he didn't come up with anything better, he was stuck with it, and honestly, I thought his was the best! Russ is the perfect height to be our "6 foot social distance" and I went as Remdesivir, the only current anti-viral treatment that we use on nearly all of our Covid-positive patients.

Our first stop was at Grandma Jo's, where she had all kinds of goodies for the kids as usual.  And we are thankful that she once again shared her talents with us and made Evie's awesome Purell bottle!

Funny story about Oliver's Clorox wipes. . . Through the Halloweens, you've probably noticed I like to re-purpose costumes any chance I get.  Well in previous lifetimes, Oliver's costume had been a Coke can and a tornado.  Can you see the resemblance?  Who wore it best?? I told Evelyn that she, too, will need to find a use for this one someday. 


While we were at Grandma Jo's, we were able to interrupt the harvest. . .

. . . to see Grandpa Denny and wish him a Happy Halloween.  The beans are looking good this year!

Our sweet Vi was excited to see both of her grandpas on this Halloween!

Usually after Grandma Jo's house, we head over to Aunt Rosemary and Uncle Ronnie's house, but we haven't seen them in person since the pandemic started and decided we better not. Then we usually head to the nursing home to do most of our trick-or-treating, but of course this couldn't happen this year either.  Last year on Halloween, Grandma Shirley and Grandpa Evan were still living in their house just down the road from us, and my kids always LOVE to get her snicker doodles for Halloween.  This year we used her recipe and made some for her and Grandpa instead to drop off at the nursing home.

The highlight of my whole evening is when I realized that we wouldn't have to just drop them off in the bucket in the entryway -- we would actually be able to SEE them!  Halloween is such a big event for the residents that our awesome nursing home found a way to let some of them still have a little "normal." Look how awesome Grandma and Grandpa look all dressed up!  And while it isn't our usual Halloween picture with them, I'm just so thrilled that I was able to get any kind of a picture with my kids.
Wellsville had a trunk-or-treat on the bricks, and some of the trunks were decorated so awesome!  My favorites were the "Up" and "Aladdin" themed ones.
Violet and Oliver met up with some of their costumed friends. . .

. . . and Evie met up with her teacher, Mrs. Wright!  The girls had fun handing out candy and FaceTiming Syd with Aunt Joy.

We finished our evening at Grandma Cheryl and Grandpa Kermit's house, where the girls continued to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters.  Grandma Cheryl also shared her talents once again in helping with costumes.  We're so lucky to have such creative grandmas!


The boys enjoyed the evening running around with friends.  Did I mention that Halloween was on a Saturday; it was a full moon; the temps were in the 60s; AND it was daylight savings, so we got an extra hour of sleep??  It was really an ideal night for Halloween, and the fact that we got to see ALL of the grandparents made it a very special night indeed.  I'm so thankful for these awesome kids of mine and thankful that they continue to humor me by participating in our family-themed Halloweens.  Hope everyone stayed safe during this atypical year!

No comments: