After over 150 years and 266 meetings, today marked the final regular season meeting of my alma mater, the mighty KU Jayhawks. . . and those striped kittens that reside just east of us. To say there was a lot of hype surrounding this game would be a huge understatement. The overall record of the match-up is heavily lopsided toward the Jayhawks, but this year those pesky tigers happen to be pretty good. And the thought of them winning the Big 12 just as they are ditching us was more than most of us KU Faithful could stomach, especially considering we have won the past 7 regular season Big 12 championships. I was so excited to be able to be at the game today! No, I didn't actually have a ticket. I was working a booth for my church, but hey, atmosphere is atmosphere right?? And because I was there nearly 3 hours before tip-off, I got to see this outside the window where we were setting up shop:
Yes, these are just a few of the thousands of students waiting for the doors to open. Oh, the memories of days gone by when I was one of those crazed students! We used to camp out for every game, and it was always SO fun!
Game time! The 118 you see on the Jumbotron is the decibels (it actually surpassed 120 a few times) in the Fieldhouse. It was rockin'!
The game got a little scary at times, especially when our beloved Hawks gave the tigers a 19 point cushion in the second half. But you know they had to make the final game exciting! With 10 seconds to go, we're all tied up and heading into overtime!
And they pulled it off! 87-86 final score, and Boy was it exciting!!
Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Eight straight Big 12 Championships!! SEC-ya, Missouri~
No comments:
Post a Comment