Thursday, January 6, 2011

Going on a Diet

With a new year comes the infamous New Year's Resolutions. Topping the list of most popular every year seems to be "going on a diet". . . well, it looks like Violet is going to be joining the ranks of those dieters out there. We went to see the OT and dietician this week, and they weren't overly pleased with her current weight. She is currently tipping the scales at 8.52 kg (or 18 lbs 12 oz), which places her at the 2.7%-ile. Just as a friendly reminder, this is what my Super-Vi looks like in all her naked glory (appearing just a bit sad that the doctors weren't happy with her growth):


So. . . who out there thinks she looks just terribly malnourished? Anyone thinking, "Someone feed that child already!" or "That girl is skin & bones!"??? I didn't think so. Anyway, so the diet prescribed by Children's Mercy (and this is verbatim, I kid you not) is: "Add these items liberally to food: butter, margarine, gravy, whipped cream, sour cream, cream cheese, mayonnaise, cream soups, and cheese sauce. Bread meats and vegetables. Saute and fry foods. Add sauces and gravies to foods." As you can see, Violet is excited about the doctor's orders!

I'm afraid that if we abide by this diet, she may end up needing open heart surgery after all -- to clean out all of the cholesterol we poured into her blood vessels! I don't consider myself a health nut by any means, but I like to think I eat relatively healthy. Those recommendations about make me sick! Not to mention, Did you see the above picture?? She may not be walking, but we'd probably be able to roll her along if we fed her all of those things! I think we'll just stick to the whole milk for now and let the chips fall where they may. My Violet is a petite little thing, and I'm not sure spooning her Cheese Whiz is going to make her shoot up 3 inches over night.

The really good part of the appointment was when the OT watched Violet eat, she was amazed by how well she is doing. She said that less than 10% of kiddos transition to oral feeds as well as Violet has. . . Finally, something POSITIVE where Violet falls in the minority! For the last 3-4 weeks, we really haven't used the feeding tube at all, which has been awesome. The tube probably won't come out for a while, though, as it serves as a sort of "safety net" in case of emergency. All-in-all, I've been very encouraged by how well Violet is eating. And boy does she love to eat!

This is what it looks like when she is "in the zone" drinking Pediasure out of her 'nosey cup' -- don't even try to bother her when she's eating! She can down 8 ounces in about 8 minutes flat.

2 comments:

LeeAnne said...

Beth...Sheila went through the same ordeal with Madeline. Always telling her she was too small, etc. Same ideas on what to feed her to fatten her up. Unreal! Needless to say she didn't heed the advice and she is perfectly fine. Think the doctors finally realized she is just going to be a petite little girl. Must be that good Dwyer blood...

smburke said...

Yep, what my mom said. M only weighed about 17 or 18 pounds at a year and apparently that just wasn't enough. She's now almost three and only weighs about 26 pounds. Can't wait until May when we have her three year check up to hear how "small" she is yet again! I always just tell them that I hope her petite frame sticks with her into adulthood. That usually shuts them up pretty quick! ;) I was most amazed by the fact that in a time when we are so overly aware of childhood obesity, they are telling those of us with "smaller" children to shove butter, creams, and otherwise fatty foods down our kids' throats. Makes no sense to me.