Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Freedom from Hardware!

(posted on CarePage)
Rejoice! The pins are out! Violet was taken to surgery at 11:30, and Dr. Singhal came to talk to us at about 1:30 to let us know that everything went smoothly. When I asked him if we could have the hardware to keep as a 'souvenir' (one of my friends had the great idea of making it into a 'Baby's First Christmas' ornament), he said he had to chisel it out and it was broken, so we wouldn't want it. Oh well, I'm just so glad it's not sticking out of Violet's head anymore!

She's sleeping very soundly now, and seems so peaceful. I can't wait to get her out of bed so I can hold her without having to worry about hurting anything. Hopefully she'll wake up soon.

The plan is to stay here overnight, and hopefully go home in the morning. We'll see infectious disease before we go and have some blood work done. We have an infectious disease clinic appointment for Friday; I'm really hoping they don't make us drive back up here for that, but we'll see.

My baby girl has had pins sticking out of her head for 70 days. I'm almost giddy right now with the freedom I'm feeling. Praise God for Dr. Singhal, Children's Mercy, and of course, our precious child. I'm just so thankful! What a fabulous Christmas present!

This is the cute mural on "Reunion Avenue" where we got to meet Violet after surgery.

And. . . Ta-Da!! Just a little red dot where the pin was sticking out. They don't even put a single stitch on the hole; it's really pretty amazing how small it is.
And just to prove that both sides are free of pins, here's the right side. (By the way, the marker on her face was to mark her right eye because Dr. Singhal probed her tear duct to open it up; it's been blocked since birth.)And her beautiful little peaceful face. Sleep tight, sweetie.

2 comments:

Amy Frick said...

Praise indeed Beth! She is totally beautiful and I'm not even her momma. That is a true Christmas blessing!

Aaron Childers said...

Wonderful She is such a little doll! Merry Christmas! :)