We are blessed to have a wonderful church family, as I'm sure you've seen if you've followed my blog over the years. I recently took over as "Cradle Roll" chair and my responsibilities with this role involve supporting the spiritual lives of babies and their families during the first three years of life. When my kids were baptized, they were presented with Baptism Boxes to hold significant reminders of their Baptism (candle, handkerchief, certificate, etc). Through the years, we have continued to add items to these boxes such as VBS projects, Sunday School materials, and of course, their confirmation certificates. I had a "dream" to find someone in our congregation who could help make these boxes out of wood, to be a keepsake for generations to come. Vern Bartels is a very talented craftsman in our church family who is always willing to help out, so when I approached him with this idea, he jumped right in!
In the building of these boxes, I had also hoped that it could be an intergenerational project with our youth. Calvin and Oliver are currently taking woodshop in high school and Ty has also taken woodshop, so I knew there would be at least 3 youth who could help :) There ended up being twice that many who were able and willing to spend an afternoon building. Vern was kind enough to invite them to his awesome shop where he started by showing them what they'd be doing in the building of these Baptism Boxes.
Then they got to work!
Both of my boys mentioned how NICE all of Vern's equipment was (perhaps a little nicer than what they are used to at the high school?). I think they really enjoyed their time.
And here's the (almost) finished project! Just needs the stain. And we'll add a brass name plate with the child's name and date of baptism also when the time comes.
I think the kids did a great job! Of course, Vern did all of the prep work and teaching and we are so thankful he is willing to share his skills with us. I can't wait to present this box at our next baptism!







No comments:
Post a Comment