Tuesday, October 23, 2018

JM&MG Visit Gieringers and Daddy & Boys Explore Baldwin

Friday was a "No School" day, so we set off on our Just Me & My Girls Day. Evelyn saw pictures of Gieringer's Pumpkin patch where I'd taken the boys last year in October, and she really wanted to go there, so off we went! Grandma Cheryl went along for some of the morning to help with Miss Vi.  On the wagon and ready to go!
First stop was the corn maze, and it was another great one!
Violet wasn't so sure about the corn. . .
and she was even LESS sure about the mud!  Mom and I had our matching KU boots on, and even so we almost got stuck in the mud a couple of times!
On top of the bridge overlooking the maze, we could see the way out, but couldn't quite figure out how to GET there!
They had stations for crayon rubbings and trivia questions that Evelyn really enjoyed.
But did I mention it was MUDDY??
After about a half hour, we decided we could re-trace our steps and find our way out through the entrance, and we were successful!
And here we are pretending to have actually made it out of the exit :)
A great reward for making it out of the corn maze was pumpkin donuts and hot apple cider on a chilly day.
Next up: Plenty of fun in the Corn Pit!
There happened to be a lot of Wellsville friends there with us, so the girls had a ball playing in the pit!
Evelyn also took dozens of trips down the truck slide.  Violet was content to watch.
The hamster wheel was quite entertaining!  It went pretty fast once you got going, and once again, Evie loved it, but Violet wasn't so sure.
Evelyn met up with another friend, Lilly, on the jumping pumpkin.  These girls had a blast!
Then we discovered the "Kids Mini Maze" -- this is more like it!  The kids actually conquered this one all on their own.  When they made it out, they had to examine their boots to see just how muddy they got.
Next was some fun on the hay bales. . .
. . . and checking out the pumpkins, of course!
It was a chilly, but FUN, JM&MG Day!  I love my girls so much!
Meanwhile, Daddy spent a day dedicated to his boys.  They began by volunteering at the Harvester's food distribution in town.  I'll turn the rest of this post over to Russ. . .

The boys enjoyed helping out with the food distribution.  This is a wonderful ministry and the boys and I were thankful to be a part of it. Kudos to Mike Holtwick, Curtis Wright, and all who organize the pick up. 

Our next step was to take a stroll around two of my old stomping grounds, Baker University and the Baldwin golf course.  Unfortunately, it didn't dawn on me to take any pictures.  Once I remembered to pull out my phone, we were already sipping coffee and hot chocolate downtown at the coffee shop on the northwest corner of 8th and High.
As we headed home, I decided to swing out north and hit the old Signal Oak lookout point. This is a really neat area and a point of Bleeding Kansas historical significance.  The boys and I recommend it.

As we drove home I decided to show the boys Douglas County State Fishing Lake, or as people still laughably call a project completed in 1963, "New Baldwin Lake."  The boys asked me to show them 'keg party' cove on the east side of the lake.  (I told them I didn't know what they were talking about and even if I did, KDWP has blocked the entrance with massive boulders.)


I told the boys we could go anywhere in Baldwin or Wellsville for lunch. 
Overlooking several appealing options, the boys picked Subway.  Eighteen dollars and two cold sandwiches later, we were on our way home.

No comments: