Last weekend was a great time to be a high school basketball fan in our house! It was substate championship time, and we had 2 teams to cheer for! The team my brother coaches, the Eudora Cardinals, and our own Wellsville Eagles were both playing in the championship game on Saturday evening, and what a fun night as both teams WON! My family started out at the Wellsville game, hoping to watch the first half there and then finish out the night watching Kyle's team. Well, unfortunately the start-times of the games didn't exactly cooperate, and I didn't end up getting to watch any of the Wellsville game. But what I DID get to see was the HUGE support of our community for these boys. I saw the line a couple hundred people deep to get into the gym. I heard, no I FELT, the gym explode when the players ran in to start their warm-ups. I felt the energy in the gym for the game and the atmosphere was awesome. It was just like when I was in school. Back then, my dad was coaching and our Eagles went to state more often than not. It was always such a fun time of getting together with our whole town for a great big party at the Holidome in Hutchinson. These are some of my best memories growing up. So, needless to say, I LOVED seeing the excitement of the whole community, even if I didn't get to stay and watch the actual game. More on that game in a bit. . .
So Joy and I and the kiddos headed to Kyle's game in Eudora and left our husbands behind to cheer on Wellsville. Thankfully, Kyle's game wasn't exciting AT ALL, which is a great thing when you're winning! In the 4th quarter, Coach D pulled out his starters to let the rest of the bench play a bit and allow the fans to show their appreciation to these boys who had played so hard.
One of his seniors got one last 3-pointer on his home court -- swish!
Final Score: Eudora 78, Osawatomie 53.
Shaking hands and then time to celebrate!
Kyle gets a big hug from Brynnie.
The family (minus Kyla, who I'm sure was with Grandpa Kermit) and the trophy.
Way to go, Cardinals!

So back to the Wellsville game. Thankfully we were getting texts to keep us updated on the score because as predicted, this was a real thriller. What couldn't have been predicted, though, was the incredible finish. This is the last-second 3-pointer by one of our seniors that won the game!

The place absolutely exploded! And I know this because Violet has watched Sydney's video of the final shot about 1000 times.

Such an awesome picture of our incredible community and the excitement experienced that evening. If you look very closely, you can see Russ, Evelyn, and Oliver on the right side of the picture.
The Cardinals are heading to Wichita, and the Eagles are heading to Hutch to play in the State Tournament this week. What a fun and exciting time! Good luck at state boys!!








No comments:
Post a Comment