Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Grandma Brown Would Be So Proud

My Grandma Brown loved violets, and her windowsills were lined with them. Unfortunately, my mom and I did NOT get her green-thumb, and so we usually stick with the kind of plants you dust, not water. If you recall, my mom got our Violet a live plant as well as a silk one when she came home from the hospital, assuming that the live plant would not last long.
This is how they looked that day (the real one is on the right):

I didn't take any pictures of just how pathetic the violet looked in the subsequent weeks; it was rather embarrassing with zero blooms and even the leaves started to look like they were fading fast. . . But I didn't give up and continued to care for my violet plant (as I cared for my Violet girl). I was completely elated last week when I noticed new buds beginning to show!

Each day, I've been so excited to see my blooms starting to open. . .

This morning, there were FOUR flowers with several more in the works! It doesn't look quite as beautiful as the day mom gave it to me, but I'm starting to believe we'll get there!

Here is Grandma Brown with baby Calvin on her last Christmas with us:
Every time I look at my violet plant, I can't help but think about Grandma Brown. She went to be with Jesus 3 years ago, but I'm sure she would have been proud (probably more proud of her Violet great-granddaughter than the fact that I didn't kill the plant, though)!

No comments: