The following are the CarePage updates I've posted the past couple of days. In a nutshell, we had one scary event Wednesday evening, but we are now home and doing great!
(Posted yesterday)
Just when we think Violet can't do anything else to shake things up, she goes and CODES on us! Last evening, when the nurse was giving her an oral antibiotic, the Little Miss got quite upset, began holding her breath, and proceeded to turn blue. A code blue was called and about a million people came running in the room. It was one of the scariest things I've ever been through. Deep down, I knew she was going to be fine, but I prayed as intently as I ever have for that VERY LONG minute or so until I heard her cry again. After she was stabilized, they moved us to the pediatric ICU to keep an eye on her and that is where we are currently sitting.
The good news is that after that very stressful situation, she had an extremely boring night. She slept the whole night through and even got her oxygen off without any problems. We've seen the infectious disease doctor as well as the intensive care doctor this morning. We're still waiting to see our nurse practitioner who works with Dr. Singhal (the plastic surgeon). So we're not really sure what the plan will be yet, but most likely we'll be transferred back to the general medical floor where we came from, as she certainly is not critical enough to be in the PICU anymore. There's still a small chance we'll go home today, but I'm not holding my breath (and hopefully Violet won't hold hers either. . .okay, bad joke).
I'll continue to keep you all updated. Hope everyone is having a Happy Thanksgiving, and eat some extra turkey for us (ya know, hospital food just isn't that great)!
(Posted just now)
I'm sorry I didn't get an update written yesterday to let you know we wouldn't be coming home. The doctors were just a little too nervous discharging us so soon after an "acute life threatening event" (i.e. a code) which I completely understood. So we got to spend Thanksgiving in the hospital, but Russ' mom took care of us and brought a delicious dinner courtesy of her friend, Connie. Thanks Jo & Connie!
Violet continued to do great after we were transferred back to the general medical floor, and when the team rounded on her today, they agreed with the discharge plans. In fact, the biggest issue we faced today was trying to get her antiobic filled. Turns out, the outpatient pharmacy at Children's Mercy doesn't take our insurance (who doesn't take Blue Cross Blue Shield??), and because the drug is so expensive, not many pharmacies keep it on their shelves. So we spent most of the morning on the phone, but eventually found a pharmacy who had it AND took our insurance (We were prepared to spend the nearly $500 out of pocket for the linezolid, but weren't all that excited about it, especially since this is only half of what we'll ultimately need.) Shortly after noon, we got to leave the hospital and see this absolutely gorgeous day God has given us!
So next Thursday we'll follow up with Violet's primary doctor, and then on Friday we'll go to infectious disease clinic and cleft clinic. We'll follow up with both of them frequently until December 15, when the pin removal surgery is scheduled. We're really praying for no more surprises these next couple of weeks.
Thanks again for all of the prayers for our family. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We have SO MUCH to be thankful for!!
1 comment:
Violet, we know you have a beautiful name, but seriously, turning violet (or blue) on your Mother is just not what she needs right now. Beth- so sorry you had to go through that. We will continue to pray for uneventful medical procedures in the future!
Post a Comment