Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Oliver's New/Old Car: Bluey!

Oliver is our second "official" teenage driver of the household after passing his test this month (pray for me!) for his Farm Permit.  We took off on the first day of Spring Break to the DMV in Lawrence where he aced his driving test.  Seriously, the woman said he did perfect and was better than most of the adult drivers she sees!  Here he is, waiting to go driving, claiming not to be nervous at all. . .
. . . and here he is after he aced it with his temporary license and celebratory Starbucks!
We've added another car to our fleet, Grandma Jo's Pontiac that we are calling "Bluey" until we think of a better name.  He wasted no time putting his new privilege to good use.  Calvin had to be at school really early for FBLA, so Oliver was the man! This was the first day he drove solo to school, chauffeuring Violet, who he couldn't convince to sit in the front with him.
We took advantage of some nice weather last evening to give Bluey a good cleaning.  Oliver got the floors all vacuumed out, while I scrubbed the rest.  Sure was a pretty sunset to enjoy while we cleaned!
And with his sparkling car this morning, he was off again with Vi.  He is kind enough to start Calvin's car, even when he won't be riding in it.  Russ and I laugh that we have 5 cars now, with 4 of the 5 having 200,000 miles on them.   We should start taking bets on which one will bite the dust first. . . I have to say, though, that in its prime, Bluey was the fanciest of them all.  She has all the bells and whistles!  And she's a little nostalgic for me because Russ and I bought a Grand Prix very similar to this one right after we got married.

I'm getting pretty spoiled now that he can drive himself (and Vi) to school on days that Calvin has to be there early, and home from school on days that Calvin has track meets (like today) or other after-school activities.  When Calvin got his license, I titled the post, "Freedom From Chauffeuring" -- I could probably call this one "EXTRA Freedom From Chauffeuring."  And Uncle Scottie already put him to work on the farm, giving rides to and from fields with equipment that needed moved.

He got his real Driver's License in the mail this week, which will be good until he turns 20.  How crazy is that?!?  I imagine he'll look a little different when it comes time to renew.  This one says he's 5'2" and 95 pounds (although he said he's probably more like 5'3" and 99 pounds).  We'll have to see what those stats are on 11/23/2027!
Congratulations, Oliver!  I'm proud of you, Son!!

No comments: