Evelyn has been fortunate to get to attend Starbase (housed at the National Guard Armory in Lenexa) for her fieldtrips this year. And yes, I said fieldtrips, with an 's' -- they've taken FIVE! It's been a great experience with lots of learning about all-things STEM. I was able to attend with her one of the weeks and I was totally impressed! I'll let Evelyn tell you more. . .
Like mom said we got to go to Starbase five times, and every time it was very fun! I learned a lot about STEM.
In the first room we did Computer Aided Design (CAD). CAD is basically making stuff on the computer like a box. You wouldn't think it would be so hard to make a box, but it is very challenging with all the steps.
In this picture I am fixing a broken solar panel on CAD.
We are playing with this thermal energy iPad. It is really cool how you can see how much heat you are giving off.
This is called a plasma ball. It is full of electricity, and when you touch it all of the electricity goes to your hand. Then your hand looks purple in the glass.
This other experiment was about reactions. You would tap the medal with the stick and put it in the container full of chemicals and the chemicals were supposed to jump up. It was pretty cool how it worked.
If you did this circuit correctly you should have got to get the fan to turn on and the light.( mine did not work correctly)
In this station we got our hands wet and rubbed them on the side of the bowl and the water vibrations sprung up.
We built rockets from these rocket packet things.
There were a few steps to them.
They also had a military person that we got to talk to and ask questions.
We also got to go in the military truck that they have. It had beds and stuff in it.
Here is a picture of half of us by the truck.
We had to take the rockets outside to launch.
This is Maggie, Addilynn, and I with our rockets.
I am about to launch my rocket.
I pressed the button to launch and was looking to see where it went.
It landed successfully and it was very fun. I am so glad we got to go to Starbase and I think it was very fun. I had a great time!























No comments:
Post a Comment